Pokostovsky granite (Grey Ukraine)
This is perhaps the most common Ukrainian granite. Its international trade name is Gray Ukraine, which naturally means: gray Ukrainian stone. Paradoxical as it may seem, but the steel gray color is ideal for any building facade and even for any interior. And these are not just words, but our practical experience with Pokostovsky granite for more than 10 years.
Physical and technical properties of Pokostovsky granite
|Density and volumetric weight||2730 kg/m³|
|Compressive strength||200 MPa|
|Flexural strength||92 MPa|
|Commercial name||Grey Ukraine|
|Place of birth||Pokostovskoe|
|Quarry location||Ukraine, Zhytomyr region|
|Price tiles 600×300×20 mm polished||30 EUR/m²|
Gray Ukraine granite products
Split granite paving stone
Paving stones sawn and split
Sawn paving stone
Tumbled paving stone
Parking granite hemispheres
We tell in detail and in human language what these numbers mean.
- The density of Pokostovka (granite from this village) is 2730 kg placed in a cube, with all edges of 1 m. That is, our gray granite is almost 3 times heavier than water. Or in other words: 1 m² of Pokostovsky granite tiles, 1 cm thick, will have a mass of 27 kg.
- Water absorption. There is a whole multi-page standard on how water absorption testing should be done. In short: paving stones from Pokostovsky granite stone measuring 10 × 10 × 10 cm are placed in water, kept there for 20–30 minutes, wiped with dry paper. After that, we weigh it on a laboratory scale – and we see that this stone has increased its mass by no more than 0.5%. This is very, very little! The most durable brick has a water absorption of about 8%. That is, our granite will be more than 16 times more frost-resistant!!!
- Ultimate compressive strength. A complex experiment with a hydraulic press, in which the material being tested is pressed with crazy force. At the same time, do not forget that 200 MPa is the pressure that develops a load of 2000 kg placed on 1 cm². Only under this pressure Pokostovsky granite begins to collapse. And this is an unattainable pressure even for mega-overloaded trucks.
- Bending strength is a value showing how our granite stone can be used for self-supporting steps. That is, for stairs that will have only a metal frame – without concrete. We checked it in practice – Pokostovsky granite is perfect for steps of metal frame stairs and for ventilated facades.
- Abrasion of 0.54 grams per square centimeter suggests that when 1,000,000 people pass through 1 cm² of this mineral, its mass will decrease by half a gram. Not every expensive ceramics can boast of such an indicator. This is a very important indicator for choosing flooring in crowded places.
Pokostovsky granite itself has two selections: dark and light. It is perfectly heat-treated and polished. All this makes it an excellent mineral for a wide range of products that we make from it:
- Tiles polished;
- Heat treated paving slabs. Thickness 3, 5 or more cm;
- Chipped paving stones;
- Sawn paving stones;
- Heat-treated steps for outdoor stairs;
- Polished steps for the interior.