Very often we hear the same question from our customers: what kind of granite paving stone is it. And how is one species different from another? Indeed, the price of paving stones made of universal gray Pokostovsky granite can differ by 2 times! With the same settings. For a better understanding and optimal selection for a specific task, we have grouped all paving materials into 5 categories.
- the most comfortable price
- natural stone chipping has the highest anti-slip properties
- requires increased skill of stackers due to the difference in thickness
- not all types of stone are suitable for the production of this type of paving stone
Natural split setts from black stone – Gabbro (10×10×5)€7.90
Natural split black stone setts from – Gabbro (5×5×5)€8.20
Natural split setts from granite Grey Ukraine (10×10×5)€9.10
Natural split setts from granite Maroon Black (10×10×5)€9.50
Natural split black stone setts from – Gabbro (7×7×7)€11.00
Natural split setts from yellow granite – Skifiya Gold (10×10×5)€11.00
The most common type of pavement. The price of split paving stones is the lowest of all types. This is due to the simplicity and low cost of production. Large blocks of stone are split by hydraulic presses into smaller ones. And already smaller, but shapeless lumps, which can be set manually on the machine, are given a relatively regular shape according to the given sizes.
Standard sizes of paving stones: 10x10x10, 5x5x5, 10x10x5 – each stone has a front surface of 10 by 10 cm and a thickness of 5 cm. Dimensional accuracy with this production method is +/- 10 mm. That is, one stone of granite paving can be 9 × 9 cm in size, and the other 11 × 11 cm.
Paving stones with sawn sides
- perfectly even seam during installation
- laid in exactly the same way as regular paving slabs
- absolutely all types of stone are suitable for the manufacture of this paving stone
- Chipped and smooth front surface provides walking comfort and non-slip
Sawn-split paving stones – “rowing” of black Gabbro stone – split face & sawn edges€10.30
Sawn-split paving stones – “rowing” of black Gabbro stone (100 × 100 × 50 mm) – split face & sawn edges€10.70
Sawn-split paving stones – “rowing” of black Gabbro stone (200×100×50 mm )€11.50
Black cobbles – split face & sawn edges 100×100×50 mm – Gabbro€16.50
Sawn-split stone blocks Gabbro (200×100×50 mm)€19.00
Grey granite setts, cut sides, split top 100×100×50 mm – Grey Ukraine€20.30
Sawn-chopped paving stones with sawn sides. The name itself speaks of the sequence of production: first, regular parallelepipeds are sawn, for example, with a section of 10 × 10 cm, and then they are pricked onto paving stones 5 cm thick. Paving stones have a more even surface compared to full-cut ones, since the hydraulic press knives fit more tightly to a flat one – sawn granite surface. The side edges of such paving stones are absolutely even. Lateral dimension accuracy: +/- 2 mm. This allows you to get very even seams when laying.
The lower price of sawn-split paving stones is achieved by replacing the cutting process with splitting of granite. Initially, layers 10–20 cm thick are cut, and then these granite slabs are split into a given format. With this method of production, the front side of the paving stones is a sawn plane, and the side ones are chopped. In other words, when laying granite paving stones, the top is more even, and the seams are wider and less clear.
Paving stones with chipped sides
- perfectly smooth surface with anti-slip treatment
- laid like regular cement pavers
- the minimum available thickness is 3 cm, which reduces the cost of delivery
- the possibility of manufacturing paving stones of large formats – up to 30×30 cm
Sawn-split paving stones with chipped edges made of black Gabbro stone (100 × 100 × 30 mm) – flamed face & split edges€18.00
Sawn-split paving stones with split edges made of black Gabbro stone (200×200×30 mm) – flamed face & split edges€23.20
Sawn-split paving stones with split edges made of red granite Rosa Raveno (100 × 100 × 30 mm) – flamed face & split edges€24.00
Sawn-split paving stones with chipped edges made of red granite Rosa Raveno (200×200×30 mm) – face & split edges€24.00
Sawn-split paving stone Basalt 200×200×30 mm – flamed face & split edges€43.00
Paving stones, sawn-split from stone Basalt 200×200×50 mm – flamed face & split edges€52.00
Sawn-split paving stones with sawn top and bottom. It is also called “from slab” or “French”.
Full sawn paving stone
- the most even front surface
- mounted on the principle of conventional artificial paving slabs
- the thinnest seam during installation of all types of paving stones
- anti-slip surface becomes too smooth over time (15 years) and can slip under wet snow
Sawn paving stone from Gabbro (20×10×3 cm)€23.30
Sawn paving stone from labradorite “Irina Blue” (20×10×3 cm)€23.30
Sawn paving stone from Lukovets granite (20×10×3 cm)€24.40
Sawn paving stone from Korninsky granite (20×10×3 cm)€26.00
Sawn paving stone from Gabbro (20×10×5 cm)€26.80
Sawn paving stone from Kapustinsky granite (20×10×3 cm)€26.80
Sawn paving stones or sawn paving slabs. This is the name of a wide class of stone products for paving streets with a sawn front surface. They are used where a flat, non-slip, mostly pedestrian, part of the street is needed. For the roadway, thicker slabs must be used.
The price of sawn paving stones is the highest of the three types mentioned above. However, it also has the most accurate dimensions and the smoothest surface. In fact, this is granite paving slabs – only with a much longer service life than conventional cement slabs.
Sawn paving stones are usually made with a heat-treated or bush-hammered surface. Despite this, after 15 years of intensive use, the surface becomes polished – smooth, with a bright manifestation of the color and texture of the stone.
Stone blocks tumbled
- made from all of the above types of paving stones
- has a smooth, pleasant surface of sea pebbles
- additional processing increases the cost of production
- anti-slip properties are reduced due to a more even surface
Tumbled paving stones from labradorite “Irina Blue” (8×8×5 cm)€13.00
Tumbled paving stones from Gabbro (10×10×5 cm)€13.30
Tumbled paving stone from Gabbro stone (10×10×3 cm)€18.50
Tumbled paving stone from Pokostovsky granite (10 × 10 × 3 cm)€19.30
Tumbled paving stone from Sofievsky granite (10 × 10 × 3 cm)€20.00
Tumbled paving stone from Mezhirichsky granite (10 × 10 × 3 cm)€20.00
Tumbled paving stones or “old town”. For manufacturing, we take any type of paving stone: sawn or chipped, passed through a large rotating drum – like in a concrete mixer, in which each stone beats against the next one. As a result, after 30–60 minutes of such shaking, all sharp corners are chipped off, and the chipped surface becomes smoother. A finished street made of such tumbled paving stones looks like it was laid out at least 3 centuries ago.
Why exactly granite paving stones?
The need to equip and ennoble the space around oneself has been one of the hallmarks of mankind in all periods of its history. With each century, expanding their horizons, improving their knowledge and skills, people put forward ever higher demands on the territory that surrounded them. Ideas about comfort and safety changed, new architectural forms were invented and new building materials were created to implement them. However, the material that will be discussed in this article has invariably remained in the category of “eternal values” recognized by all eras.
The use of granite paving stones dates back thousands of years. The famous ancient Roman cobbled roads can still be walked today; paved streets, you will find in the old part of any of the European capitals; in modern cities, stone roads are gradually replacing asphalt and concrete.
The success of paving stones can be explained simply.
- Paving stone is eco-friendly. Unlike asphalt pavements, it does not belong to the group of carcinogenic materials that contribute to the development of cancer. The natural radiation background of most granites is recognized as safe for humans.
- Paving stones are durable. The service life of paved bridges is calculated for centuries. They are able to withstand mechanical stress, vibration, the destructive effects of atmospheric phenomena and temperature cycles. In our time of ecological disasters, when the state of the environment significantly enhances the processes of oxidation, the durability of paving stones is of particular importance.
- Paving stones are economical and requires virtually no maintenance. The maintenance of a natural stone pavement is 6–8 times cheaper than a traditional asphalt and concrete pavement.
- Paving stones are aristocratic. In the view of most Europeans, it is associated with noble antiquity. It was along the paved roads that the gilded carriages of kings rushed, the knights hurried to meet the lady of their hearts, and the warriors went on long-term conquest campaigns.
An experienced architect will not hesitate to confirm that cobbled pavements, sidewalks and squares invariably give the city a unique and unrepeatable Image of a European City. Today, many squares and streets, whose names sound like music to tourists from all over the world, are made of a combination of block stone with covering stone slabs: Moscow Arbat, Kyiv Khreshchatyk, Champs Elysees in Paris, Golden Street in Prague, St. Peter’s Square in Rome…
The company «GRANEX» carries out the whole range of works associated with the listed stages of manufacturing a coating of granite paving stones:
- design and visualization of the future granite landscape cover;
- delivery of all necessary building components, and granite paving stones.
Granite curbs can be compared with an exquisite picture frame. Yes, and it is he who gives aesthetic completeness and integrity to the roadway, square or sidewalk. First of all, it is an integral part of the modern landscape. Therefore, its quality must be impeccable. Subsequently, a properly selected frame will harmoniously fit into the overall composition. And also, unobtrusively emphasize all the advantages of the surrounding elements and combine them into a single whole.
Heat-treated curbs GP-5 from Gabbro stone€17.50
Curbs GP-5 heat-treated from labradorite «Irina Blue»€17.50
Curbs heat-treated GP-5 from Grey Ukraine granite€18.10
Curbs heat-treated GP-5 from Karmin granite€18.50
Heat-treated curbs GP-5 from Withered granite€18.50
Heat-treated curbs GP-5 from Rosa Raveno granite€19.10
- Durability. Virtually maintenance free.
- Resistant to temperature extremes and has almost zero water absorption.
- Does not deform under the influence of physical loads.
- Does not lose its appearance.