Physical and technical properties of Gabbro stone
|Density and volumetric weight||2950 kg/m³|
|Compressive strength||280 MPa|
|Flexural strength||50 MPa|
|Place of birth||Bukinskoe, Kamennobrodskoe|
|Quarry location||Ukraine, Zhytomyr region|
|Price tiles 600×300×20 mm polished||26 EUR/m²|
Gabbro stone products
Split granite paving stone
Paving stones sawn and split
Sawn paving stone
Tumbled paving stone
Dark stone can be combined with gray – Pokostovsky (Grey Ukraine)
Gabbro stone tiles and slabs
Gabbro – absolutely black Ukrainian stone
The most common decorative stone in terms of occurrence and the presence of active quarries, of course, is gabbro. Absolutely all gabbro quarries are located in the Zhytomyr region of Ukraine. More than 20 operating enterprises for the extraction of stone operate at the Bukinsky deposit, which is located near the village of Buki, Irshansky district. Also, this stone lies in other areas: Korostyshevsky, Volodarsky, Chernyakhovsky. Very often, the gabbro itself is named after the place or settlement near which it is mined. You can often hear from stone workers: “local gabbro”. This is a stone that is mined from a quarry right in Korostyshev itself. Accordingly, for the residents of Korostyshev it is local. There is also Volodarsky, Kamennobrodsky, Golovinsky gabbro, in addition Shadura – a quarry near the village of the same name. It is very important to be able to select raw materials for a certain type of product. For example, large slabs for gabbro countertops cannot be made from paving blocks – they will be cracked. And vice versa, if paving stones are made from large blocks – for polished products, then the price of such paving stones will be sky-high.
How is gabbro mined?
This amazingly black stone is mined in an open pit. Overburden work is done at the selected gabbro deposit: the top layer of earth, clay and other non-productive rock is removed. A dump is formed along the edge of the quarry. Then the mining of Gabbro blocks begins.
How is gabbro stone processed?
Then the gabbro slabs are placed on a polishing machine. From different deposits, the stone can vary significantly. The greatest difference will be visible on the polished surface. In the photo below, we photographed two types of polished gabbro.
As you can see in the first photo, there are large crystals in the rock, while the bulk of the stone is monochrome black. It looks quite elegant on countertops and window sills. However, when engraving portraits for monuments in these places, the image is not clear.
Paving stones from Gabbro
- Chipped paving stone. At least 4 sides of such paving stones are chipped. One or two non-parallel sides may be chipped, and this is not a marriage. Moreover, if you are lucky enough to buy gabbro, where there are cobbled stones with at least one sawn side, you are in luck! The price of such paving stones is usually higher, and it is possible to lay out drawings from it that will be well read on paving from chipped Gabbro.
- Sawn-split gabbro pavers with two parallel sawn sides. It is also called rowing, since it is laid in even rows (due to the sawn sides). The most popular format of such paving stones is 10 × 10 cm, 5 cm thick:
3. Sawn-split paving stone, with four sawn sides. It is also called “from a pencil” in narrow circles. For its production, even long tetrahedrons are first cut out of stone blocks, with a section of 10 × 10 cm – pencils. And then they are pricked, in increments of 5 cm. Thus, excellent paving with even rows is obtained.
4. Sawn-split gabbro pavers with split sides. It is also called French. Its distinctive feature is that you can get a minimum thickness of 2 cm. This allows you to use this type of paving at the best possible price. Although a thickness of 2 cm is desirable to use only indoors. The optimal stone thickness for street paving is 3 cm. The most effective format with this technology is 20 × 10 cm. The appearance of such sawn-split gabbro paving stones in the photo:
5. Fully sawn gabbro pavers. This type is especially popular for paving in places where absolute walking comfort is required. We also note that it is this type of paving stone that is most simply mounted, thanks to absolutely even edges.
6. Tumbled gabbro paving stones resemble a stone that has been lying on the seabed for a long time, or taken from a medieval pavement. This paving stone is also called the “Old Town”.